What information does Honey collect?
Honey collects two types of information:
- Information that you explicitly give us, like your name, avatar and email address. You may also give us access to your information from other services, such as when you link your Facebook account.
When you create an account through Facebook, we ask for the following information:
- Information that you've already made publicly available on Facebook
- Email address (which we require because you need an email address to have a Honey account)
- Friends list request (so you can refer friends if you want to)
- Information as a result of your use of our product. We collect automatically generated information such as log data, cookies, device information, data about the success or failure of codes applied to your cart, and some other types of information required to provide different features of the Honey service. When possible, we provide an option to opt out of certain types of data collection in the user settings configuration. In some cases, this data is required to provide certain features which will be disabled when you opt out of this data collection. Other information is collected through our use of Google Analytics. To opt out of tracking with Google Analytics, visit: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Why do we collect this information?
Honey is a very special product opportunity. We realized very early on at the company that there was incredible value to be created for our users if we used the power of the user experience and data that a browser extension allows to directly benefit the user. There are a lot of companies that are using ‘big data’ to empower advertisers and publishers but very few that have taken a consumer-first approach. As a general principle, when you use the Honey extension we are careful to only run our software on websites where we can provide value to you.
What information does Honey NOT collect?
As a general principle, when you use the Extension we are careful to only run our software on websites where we can provide value to you as a Honey member as a result of our software being enabled.
How do we use your information that you provide through the Service?
- customize and optimize the content or advertisements you receive when you use the Service, and otherwise improve your experience on our Service;
- analyze and improve our services, which may include tracking traffic, usage, and navigation patterns related to your activities on the Service and the links we provide to third party websites or advertisements;
- secure your account and prevent fraud;
- carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
- protect our or a third-party’s legal rights or interests; and
- in any other way we may expressly disclose to you when you provide the information.
How do we share your information with third parties?
With your permission, we may also share your User Provided Information to the extent needed to let you redeem your Honey Gold points with a third party (e.g., to have an Amazon Gift Card sent to you).
We may also disclose User Provided and Automatically Collected Information, including any personally identifiable information that is included in the foregoing, to third parties in the following circumstances:
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request;
- with our trusted services providers who work on our behalf to provide the Service, do not have an independent use of the information we disclose to them, and have agreed to adhere to the rules set forth in this privacy statement;
- with a buyer, affiliate or other successor if Honey is involved in a merger, acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, dissolution or sale of all or a portion of its assets and User Provided Information and Automatically Collected Information is among the assets being transferred, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Web site of any change in ownership or uses of this information, as well as any choices you may have regarding this information; and
- In aggregate with other data in such a way that no personally identifying information is disclosed or can be deciphered.