Why am I seeing a proxy error message?
Hey, wait, what gives? This message was generated automatically from our system because it recognized that you were accessing Honey from a VPN, proxy, "unlocker" service or a flagged IP address. This means that our system can't verify your actual location and prevents access to Honey for security reasons! We understand people use VPNs and proxies for perfectly honest and important reasons, like work or privacy. Unfortunately, our system can't distinguish someone's intentions when they're using a proxy! For best results, we also recommend ensuring your device's network settings are set to Automatic. In order to use Honey, you'll have to disable your proxy or VPN.
Instructions for disabling VPN:
These instructions are intended to be general guidelines and may vary depending on your browser, OS or VPN software! If you keep running into trouble, we recommend contacting your VPN service 😊
- Click open the Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network.
- Select your VPN service in the list at the left and click to disable.
Or you can click the VPN status icon on your top menu bar and select Disconnect from X (where X is the name of the VPN service you are connected to).
For Windows (versions 7, 8, and 10)
- Open the Windows Control Panel, which can be found on the Windows Start Menu, inside "This PC", or other Windows systems menus depending on O/S version.
- Open the Network and Sharing Center - Control Panel will refresh to show new options. The Network and Sharing Center can be reached in several different ways depending on O/S version. Look under the "Network and Internet" left-hand menu option.
- Click the "Change adapter settings" option on the new left-hand menu that appears. This causes a new pop-up window to appear displaying the list of all connections configured on the computer with the status of each. The list often includes three or more entries for Ethernet, Wi-Fi and VPN connection types.
- Choose the network you wish to disable or enable from the list and right click to bring up its specific menu options. Disabled connections will have an an "Enable" option and enabled connections will have a "Disable" option at the top of the menu that can be clicked to perform the appropriate action.
- Close the Control Panel window when finished.
Are you still receiving this message but not using a VPN or proxy?
Unfortunately, your IP address may have been compromised and used for malicious activities 🕵️ When that occurs, it will be flagged and blocked by a lot of external providers. You can check here to see if your IP address has been flagged for suspicious activity. In this case, unfortunately, there isn't a work-around at this time 😞 In the meantime, we recommend you contact your internet service provider to report that flag! 🚩